At Southern Shores, we treat every real estate transaction as an investment and every transaction as if it were our own. Buying a home is the biggest investment a person or family can make. Southern Shores provides the highest level of service to our clients and will help you through each of the twelve key steps of purchasing your home.
12 Key Steps to Purchasing Your Home:
- Interview with Southern Shores Realtor® to complete our custom Home Buyer Worksheet and discuss financing. This step will help to prioritize features you are looking for in your home and the location parameters of your search.
- Work with a lender to obtain a pre-qualification letter—this is required before house hunting begins.
- Begin the house hunting process with your Southern Shores Realtor®. Visit an array of carefully selected homes with your agent. He or she will also provide you with information on the current market.
- Write the offer. Offers can be discounted and can include contingencies on the sale of your existing home. Offers will always need to be accompanied by earnest money.
- Present the offer to the seller. Your Southern Shores Realtor® will present your offer to the seller and the seller’s agent by highlighting the strengths of your offer and the strengths of you as a buyer. Sellers will accept your offer, decline your offer, or counter your offer.
- Negotiate counter–offers. Agents for the buyer and seller will negotiate back and forth all terms of the contract until there is a mutual meeting of the minds.
- Deposit earnest money into escrow. Once the offer or counter-offer is ratified by both parties, the buyer’s agent will deposit earnest money into an escrow account within 48 hours.
- Secure a loan. As the buyer, you will submit all requested information to your lender of choice. This may include information such as the last two (2) years’ tax returns, copies of W2s, 1099s, pay stubs, bank statements, etc.
- Schedule home inspection. Your Southern Shores Realtor® will work with your inspector of choice to conduct the home and termite inspection.
- Schedule an appraisal and arrange for homeowner’s insurance. Your mortgage banker will schedule the appraisal and work with your Southern Shores Realtor® to secure homeowners insurance.
- Schedule the closing. Your closing will be scheduled with an attorney of your choice at a time and date that you specify. The closing will take approximately one (1) hour—please bring your driver’s license with you.
- Move in!